Saturday, October 9, 2010

On creativity

This was a really interesting video on the subject of how the left side of the brain (rational) takes over the right side (visual/creative) as we learn language skills and develop symbolic thinking. I'm not exactly sure what's up with the kooky baseball cap turned sideways... He is obviously a really smart guy.


As a left-handed person, I have always been interested in how the different sides of the brain operate. I am terrible at abstract mathematics, I struggle at remembering even the vocabulary of the English language, much less foreign languages, and I simply do not think symbolically. I am an avid reader, but I read at a snail's pace compared to other people I know... But then drawing from memory, drawing a floorplan from memory, or even drawing in perspective from memory is something that I can do lightning fast and is completely natural for me.

No comments: