Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Swans live show

I don't know exactly what I was expecting when I saw the Swans last night, but what I got was better than anything I could have imagined. I've seen them three or four times in the 1990's and they were doing their folk influenced work during much of that.

What I got last night was the sonic onslaught they were famous for during the mid-eighties part of their career and my ears are still ringing from it. It is amazing to me that no band since then has managed to orchestrate that level of bombastic noise into something so beautiful... And then last night, some old guys with gray hair walked onstage and showed the youngsters how it's done... twenty-five years later.

They did two old songs, I Crawled from the Raping a Slave EP (1984) and Sex, God, Sex from Children of God (1986). I found video footage from both of those songs at other stops from the tour.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was beautiful. I resented the hipsters somewhat. But it was beautiful to see the band showing people what it means to be sincere.

What it means to be sincerely insincere also.

Unknown said...

"Sincerely insincere"... Yes that does describe the Swans... I might describe them as the Black Sabbath of the post modern era... Erin, please post some of your photos from the show. I know you got some great images.