Saturday, September 17, 2011

Matthew Collings :: This Is Modern Art

When I was just beginning as a graduate art student in the late 1990's at the University of North Texas, the school hosted a lecture by the visiting art critic, Matthew Collings. I had never heard of him at the time, but because I worked as an art installer at the campus gallery, the gallery director asked as a favor for him to do a personal studio visit with me. I think if I had actually realized at the time that he was responsible for narrating these incredible documentaries and writing genre-defining art books such as Blimey and It Hurts, I would have been shaking at the knees and rendered completely mute in the presence of one of the great minds of the time. But instead, I think I probably came across as an overconfident, undereducated, thoroughly un-hip Texas asshole (Rick Perry?)... But my memories of Matthew Collings are entirely positive. He had nothing but good things to say about my artwork, which was not all that good, and was very friendly and wished me the best.

I haven't owned a television set since the early nineties and You Tube is a recent invention, so I've never got a chance to see these great BBC documentaries until now. This has been an excellent way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Please enjoy.

This is Modern Art -Episode 1: 1 of 5

Episode 1: 2 of 5, 3 of 5, 4 of 5, 5 of 5

This is Modern Art- Episode 2: 1 of 5
Episode 2: 2 of 5 , 3 of 5, 4 of 5, 5 of 5

This is Modern Art- Episode 3: 1of 5

Episode 3:  2 of 5, 3 of 5, 4 of 5, 5 of 5

No comments: