Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Damned Tornadoes Interfereing with my Art

All I wanted to do today was to go to Eastfield College in Mesquite, Texas and install about 700 arrows in the ceiling of a hallway there for an exhibition at the school called "Temporary Occupants". My piece is called "Inhale-Exhale" and it involves the arrows interacting with the intake and output air vents in the ceiling of the hallway...

But just like every other time it seems like I have to install or transport artwork, mother nature just HAS to show me who's boss... Fifteen tornadoes were spotted in the DFW area this afternoon, many just miles from my location, and so two hours of my precious install-time were spent sitting in the basement awaiting the impending doom...
And if that image is not enough, here is a video from the same storm of some semi-trailers being tossed about like balloons... And THAT is the tornado that was still headed toward Mesquite, exactly where I was installing artwork.

Amazingly, we dodged that bullet and my truck survived without even a hail dent. I was finally allowed to continue my installation and I was finished by around 9:00 tonight. So at least mother nature was simply a road-block and not a wrecking ball for my artwork...In retrospect, the mechanics of fluid motion that are at play in a storm are exactly the things I am interested in with the air currents in this piece on a much smaller scale. Coincidence? I think not... ;) Here are some images I got of the finished work tonight.





No comments: